Angina and pharyngitis in the throat of children

Angina and pharyngitis in the throat of children

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

The pharyngitis is the inflammation of the mucosa of the pharynx and generally causes a sore throat, irritation and fever, in addition to swelling of the tonsils, the popular tonsils, since infection of the pharynx in children usually leads to tonsillitis. Pharyngitis in the throat in children can be caused by a variety of microorganisms.

In 90 percent of cases, a virus is responsible for the infection, and pharyngitis is part of a common cold. In the remaining 10 percent, pharyngitis is due to bacterial causes.

The bacteria that usually cause pharyngitis or tonsillitis is Group A streptococcus, which causes strep throat. Only by analyzing a sample of pharyngeal culture it can be determined if it is a virus or a bacteria.

When the baby suffers from pharyngitis, he has a sore throat and it does not let him eat or cries when we feed him. If he can express himself now, he will complain that his throat is burning, and if he opens his mouth, and we look at his throat in the light, we can see that it is red and shiny.

Additional symptoms depend on the underlying organisms. Thus, streptococcal pharyngitis may be accompanied by fever, headache, and swollen lymph nodes in the neck, while viral pharyngitis may be associated with runny nose and postnasal discharge.

Severe cases of pharyngitis may be accompanied by difficulty in swallowing and, rarely, by difficulty in breathing. Complications of strep throat can include acute rheumatic fever, kidney failure, and serious illnesses such as bacteremia and streptococcal toxic shock syndrome.

Most cases of pharyngitis occur during the colder months, during the winter season, when respiratory diseases are common. Contagion between family members is common.

The doctor performs an examination of the pharynx to assess whether there is drainage or lining. The skin, eyes, and lymph nodes in the neck may also be examined. If there is suspicion of strep throat, a strep test and / or a throat swab culture may be done.

Additional throat cultures and / or blood tests can be performed according to the suspected organism (eg, mononucleosis, gonorrhea, etc).

Viral pharyngitis is treated with acetaminophen or ibuprofen to relieve a sore throat, fever if any, and decay. Inflammation usually improves by gargling with warm salt water six times a day, the ratio of which should be one teaspoon of salt per glass of water. It is advisable to feed the child a soft diet due to its difficulty in swallowing.

On the other hand, if the pharyngitis is bacterial, an antibiotic will be indicated. After 48 hours there will be no risk of contagion, the child will feel better and may even go back to nursery school or school.

Seek assistance if you develop a persistent sore throat that does not resolve within a few days or if you have a high fever, swollen lymph nodes in the neck, or a rash.

If the child cannot open his mouth or cannot swallow, if he is down or passive, his mouth and skin are dry and blotchy, or a constant fever despite medications, he should go to the ER.

Possible complications of strep throat include rheumatic fever, kidney inflammation, chorea, bacteremia (infection of the bloodstream) and, exceptionally, shock syndrome by streptococcus.

In some severe forms of pharyngitis (eg, severe mononucleosis pharyngitis), airway obstruction may occur. A peritonsillar abscess or retropharyngeal abscess may be present.

You can read more articles similar to Angina and pharyngitis in the throat of children, in the category of Childhood Diseases on site.

Video: Severe Sore Throat - Acute Tonsillitis and Treatment - Dr Paulose FRCS ENT (August 2022).