Grown ups

Northern Territory: services

Northern Territory: services

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Have you just had a new baby?

Child Health Service
The Child Health Service provides information, support and advice in the first five years of your baby's life. You can find baby and child health clinics at community care centres and remote health centres throughout the Northern Territory. Visit NT Government - Baby and child clinics to find your nearest clinic.

Healthdirect Australia
This is a free telephone health information and advice service for residents of the Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, the Northern Territory, Tasmania, South Australia and Western Australia:

  • Phone: 1800 022 222
  • Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week

Australian Breastfeeding Association - Breastfeeding helpline
If you're breastfeeding and need help, trained volunteer counsellors can give you reassurance, information and advice about breastfeeding and overcoming common hurdles to breastfeeding.

  • Phone: 1800 MUM 2 MUM (1800 686 268)
  • Hours: 24 hours, 7 days

Are you finding parenting harder than you thought?

This is a confidential telephone counselling service offering free professional counselling and support for parents and carers.

Do you need to find care for your child?

There are four options for child care in Australia:

  • home-based care, which is having your child cared for by a friend, relative or nanny in your home
  • family day care with a small group of children in an approved carer's home
  • centre-based care, in a child care centre with trained staff and a structured program
  • occasional care, which is short-term, centre-based care.

Child care is mainly designed for children aged up to five years, but can also include before-school, after-school and holiday care for primary school-age children.

This Australian Government website has information about different types of child care and about government assistance to help with fees. You can search for child care services near you.

You can also get information from the Child Care Access Hotline:

  • Phone: 1800 670 305 (free call)
  • TTY: 133 677 then ask for 1800 670 305 (for hearing-impaired or speech-impaired callers)
  • Hours: 8 am-6 pm, Monday-Friday
You can read more in our articles on getting started with child care, child care types and child care costs and Australian Government assistance. You can also find out more about good-quality child care.

Do you want help finding playgroups?

Playgroups are a great way for small children to practise getting along with others and try new ways to play. They're good for parents too, with lots of support and social contact in a relaxed, welcoming environment. For more information contact Playgroup Northern Territory:

  • Phone: (08) 8945 7775 or 1800 171 882 (free call)
  • Hours: 9 am-2 pm, Monday-Thursday

Is your child ready for preschool?

Children who turn four on or before 30 June can attend preschool from the start of that year. Preschool programs focus on learning and socialising skills to help prepare children for school. Visit NT Government - Early childhood for more information. You can also contact Early Childhood Services:

  • Phone: (08) 8999 3561

Are things worrying you at home and you want someone to talk to?

Relationships Australia Northern Territory
Relationships Australia offers counselling, education programs, mediation services and other help for families and couples:

  • Phone: 1300 364 277 (cost of a local call)
  • Hours: 9 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday

Does someone in your family have special needs?

NT Government - Office of Disability
The NT Government Office of Disability can give you information about the types of support and services in your area:

  • Phone: 1800 139 656
  • Hours: 8.30 am-4 pm, Monday-Friday

National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
The NDIS is an Australia-wide scheme to support people with permanent and significant disability. The NDIS will replace the current disability support system. The NDIS is being rolled out gradually in the Northern Territory. Visit NDIS in the Northern Territory to find out how you can get ready for the NDIS and when it will be available in your area.

Find more links to child and parent disability services.

Are you looking for parenting services in your state or territory?

Infoxchange Service Seeker
This directory contains updated details for government and non-government services and agencies around Australia.

Find more links to parent and family services.