We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
We were used to following the food pyramid when planning our children's menu. Yes, that pyramid that says that the base of the diet should be made up of cereals and dairy products ... and that sweets and sweets should be reserved at the top (foods that should only be eaten very occasionally).
Well then: the food pyramid has changed. Now it is a plate, a healthy plate. And this is what it should contain.
This image, distributed by the Nutrition Department of the prestigious Harvard University, highlights the old and obsolete nutritional pyramid. On the plate, there is no longer room for sweets or pastries. Only for vegetables and fruits, proteins (meat and vegetables), whole grains ... and of course, water and olive oil.
- Vegetables: Of all the foods included, the most important are vegetables. These include potatoes, yes, but it is clarified that we must not abuse French fries, and we must bet on a healthier way of preparation (cooked, boiled or roasted potatoes).
- Fruits: Fruits are basic. They provide us with essential vitamins and also a lot of hydration. However, they lose weight compared to the contribution of vegetables, which should be higher according to these experts.
- Proteins: It would be the second largest food group in importance. And what foods are included? Yes, meats are important (especially poultry), but they specify that red meat should not be abused and limit the consumption of cold cuts. On the contrary, the consumption of fish and legumes should be increased.
- Whole grains: Another fact that stands out is the importance of whole grains. That is to say: the bread, that is integral. Also rice. They are not saying that white bread cannot be consumed, but that we should not abuse it.
- Water: And of course, next to the plate, two other essential products stand out: water (also valid in the form of tea or coffee). Here too, there is a warning about the excessive consumption of dairy products. Your recommendations? One or two servings a day.
- Oil: The last great product for a healthy diet is oil (olive, if possible, or also sunflower or corn), which is better than butter, which should be avoided ...
Nor do Harvard experts forget the devilish sugar, which they relegate almost to non-existence. On numerous occasions they remember to avoid it ... both in drinks and in food.
This is the before and after of our food pyramid. Now, the proportions of vegetables and fruit has increased, and a lot. They would have to occupy half the plate. That is, half of our diet. And protein consumption is also given more importance than carbohydrates.
The creators of this 'food plate' do not rule out the pyramid, as long as it adapts and changes some proportions. In addition, they add that together with the healthy plate we must take into account the importance of physical activity and other important supplements, such as vitamin D and B12.
The experts who have created this new, healthier version of the pyramid, recommend printing the image of the healthy plate and putting it well in view in the kitchen. Do not forget it when planning your children's menu.
You can read more articles similar to From the food pyramid to the healthy plate in children's nutrition, in the category of Diets and children's menus on site.